The Roman Room

By AD77 the Romans controlled North Wales through a number of forts. These included Kanovium (Caerhun) which was built to control the crossing of the River Conwy  and was probably in use until the 4th Century.

Kanovium linked up Diva (Chester) to Segontium in Caernarfon and roads also lead to other Roman sites such as Tomen-y-Mur near Trawsfynydd.

Please click on this link to view Kanovium

cavonium_fort_distance_shot2.jpg

Excavated in the 1920’s by P. K Bailey Reynolds, Kanovium had many interesting finds all of which are housed at Llandudno Museum which help tell the story of its inhabitants.

 

Images by kind permission of Roman Tours UK

GTJ15301_2.jpg

Roman cremation urn

GTJ15302_2.jpg

Roman Samian bowl from Kanovium

GTJ15305_2.jpg

Roman game from Kanovium

GTJ15306_2.jpg

Child’s footprint in Roman floor tile

IMG_1739.jpg

Collection of artefacts from Kanovium

Roman flask from Kanovioum

 Lead letter D from Kanovium

Wooden palisade post found down the well at Kanovium

Spoon from Kanovium

 

 Key from Kanovium

Samian bowl from Kanovium

 

 

 


   

       Staff Entrance 
       Feedback
       Links
       Friends